Landslide in Terenganu, nobody hurt
By R.S.N. MURALI – Friday, 12 Dec 2008 (http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/12/12/nation/20081212093010&sec=nation)
KUALA TERENGGANU: A landslip was reported atop a hillside development project in Bukit Apil along Jalan Cerung Lanjut here on Thursday, creating anxiety amongst residents at a housing estate below.
There are about 50 families currently living at Cerung Lanjut which is situated on the lower ground of the hilltop project.
Last month, the housing estate experienced its first-ever floods. The Kuala Terengganu City Council was cited for not embarking on flood mitigation measures before allowing the hillside project to begin.
In the 3am incident on Thursday, the landslip caused mud to inundate several homes. Resident Ismail Ibrahim said his home was almost ravaged by debris.
“Luckily the impact was not that severe this time around, but most of us here fear that any future erosions could turn fateful,” he said.
Ismail said most of the residents also heard a thunderous noise during a downpour.
Another resident Mohd Rustam Ali, 28 said the landslip also affected a surau (Muslim shrine). Seven rows of houses close to the surau were marred by mud and the dwellers had no choice but to seek help from neighbours to clear the sludge, he said.
Terengganu Mentri Besar Datuk Ahmad Said told The Star that the local government had been directed to monitor the project and prevent any soil erosion.
The hilltop project was embarked by the city council early this year to build a panorama park that would give visitors a bird’s eye view of Kuala Terengganu.