December 02, 2008 11:13 AM
KUALA TERENGGANU, Dec 2 (Bernama) — The situation in flood-hit Terengganu has deteriorated with the evacuation of more victims in four villages, bringing the total to 3,281 as at 7am today, compared with 1,966 Monday.
A Terengganu National Security Council spokesman said Kuala Terengganu and Marang were the worst hit, with the number of evacuees having risen to 1,531 and 999, from 1,147 and 686 respectively Monday.
Besut had 643 victims (69 Monday) and Setiu, 108 (seven Monday).
The spokesman said 39 relief centres had been opened — 17 in Kuala Terengganu, nine each in Besut and Marang and four in Setiu.
Jalan Pengkalan Kubur-Kampung Tembila, Jalan Permaisuti Hulu Seladang, Chalok-Telaga Papan, Jalan Marang-Wakaf Tapai, Jalan Kuala Terengganu-Kota Baharu, Jalan Kuala Terengganu-Kota Baharu (at Lingai) and Jalan Kampung Bahagia-Kampung Jeram were under 0.5m to 1.5m of water and were closed to all vehicles.
Four roads — Jalan Guntung Luar ke Saujana, Jalan Kampung Padang Air, Simpang 3 Kampung Tepoh and Bukit Petiti were closed to light vehicles while Jalan Bukit Payong at Km 9-10 had one lane closed, he said.